I Don’t Know About You, But I’m Feeling 22!
Sorry, I couldn’t resist a little Taylor Swift lyric! But hey – IT’S MY BIRTHDAY! Yay.
I’ve had a really great year being 21. I feel like what I want in life is starting to come together in my head. Without being really cringey, I’ve started to really find myself. I’ve learnt what and who truly make me happy, I’ve found my perfect balance in being healthy, I’ve learnt how to be my most productive and got super inspired for all my future adventures.
The next year is a big one for me as I complete my last year of my degree and graduate! I hope to get a really good start in setting up my career or starting a postgrad course. This year I want to get stronger, really find my tribe and try and set up my future as well as I can.
Today I’m sharing 22 things that I’ve learnt in my 22 years on the earth. Some serious, some funny and some very personal.
What I’ve learnt
- Listen to your body! It is an incredible machine and it usually knows best.
- Comparison kills creativity. You are the best version of you and you do it perfectly! Don’t compare your journey to anyone else’s, they’re not the same thing.
- Saving money is really hard but you’ll thank yourself later.
- Music college is the best way to kill your love for music. My advice to anyone younger would be to only go if you are certain it’s what you want to do and you need to be strong- stay true to yourself and remember why you’re there.
- Messy eyebrows are a much better look than over plucked.
- Skincare is so important (I’m sorry for not listening to you mum!) A good skincare routine beats makeup any day.
- Don’t live with your best friends- they probably won’t be your best friends by the end!
- But you will also learn valuable life skills on compromising and dealing with other people’s
- Invest in yourself. Invest in your career. Invest in your future. Spend your money wisely.
- Social media isn’t real life- you only see what they want you to see!
- Health is so much more than eating well and exercising. Sleep, stress, spending time outdoors, having good relationships are so important for health.
- Exercise is so much more that school PE lessons! I thought I hated exercise for sooo many years because PE lessons had put me off but there’s something out there that everyone will love! I love swimming, yoga, weight lifting and I’m even starting to love running when I go at my own pace and don’t have the pressure of a class track race.
- Buy yourself flowers, candles and good food.
- It REALLY doesn’t matter what anyone thinks as long as you are enjoying yourself. Your true friends will always support you.
- Don’t be embarrassed when doing a photo shoot. You will probably never see these people again.
- Wash the soles of your feet after you fake tan.
- Having a shit, minimum wage job that you hate is just a part of growing up. You’ll thank yourself for the money and the experience and skills will help you later in life.
- It really is good to wake up early. You will be so much more productive early in the morning than staying up late.
- It’s okay to sit in bed, binge watch TV and eat ice-cream some days- just not many days!
- It’s okay for plans to change. I’m about to finish a 4 year degree that is nothing to do with the career I now want but that’s fine! I don’t regret it because I learnt a lot and it’s shaped me as a person.
- Be spiritual. Find what makes you whole.
- A good, fluffy dressing gown is the most important piece of clothing.